The Commissioners for taking Affidavits Act allows Municipal Clerks and other Officials to take various types of declarations and to administer oaths. Refer to Schedule ‘B' of the Township Fees & Charges By-law for Commissioner of Oath services.

Before you start

You will need to bring valid photo identification. The identification should show your full name, signature, and address.

Please contact us to see if a Commissioner of Oaths is available.

Commissioner of Oaths Services

We have 2 Commissioner of Oaths that can sign documents at their discretion, including but not limited to the following:

  • Proof of residency;
  • Transfer of vehicle ownership;
  • Pension plan and insurance claim documents;
  • Municipality forms; and,
  • Other government-related forms.

The Commissioner of Oaths can also:

  • Certify documents as ‘true copies; and,
  • Certify the signature of an identifiable individual.

The Commissioner of Oaths will not sign documents related to:

  • Wills, testaments, and estates;
  • Powers of Attorney;
  • Divorce, separation, and custody;
  • Real estate;
  • Travel and vaccination status / exemptions;
  • Court documents or any documents related to court proceedings; and,
  • Any other documents requiring a Notary Public.

We do not provide the services of a Notary Public.

A Commissioner of Oaths is not the same as a Notary Public. If your document requires the signature of a Notary Public or you require certified true copies of a document you will need to contact a private lawyer or a Notary Public.